Monday, November 23, 2009

Ditch the Workout...

....Join the Party!

This is Zumba's tagline and, as I found out Friday night, there couldn't be a more accurate description of this one-of-a-kind workout. From 7:30 - 9:00 p.m. at the YMCA on South Park St., I participated in a mega Zumba class that was open to the public.

I arrived having heard about the Zumba craze, of course, and having been told that a Zumba hour as part of Bust a Move is a must have. I can believe the hype....but to really buy in to it, I had to see it for myself. And see it I did. Plain and simple, Zumba will Rock Your World.



The crowd of 100 or so bopped, stomped, swayed and wiggled through those 90 minutes without a single moan, groan or glance at the clock. They clapped, cheered, hooted and hollered. And sweat?! Holy, this workout had everybody in there dripping in no time. But, again, without a single complaint! Instead, bums were out, hands were up, hips were gyrating. For one song, the room was split in half and a full fledged dance battle ensued.

The place looked like a dance club on a Saturday night, except the drink of choice was water and no one was worried about how cool or sexy they looked. They were there to shake their tail feathers and nothin' else mattered!




I have never seen anything like it...and I've been to a lot of fitness classes.

Now, as a bit of a disclaimer, I'll tell you that this class was led by two instructors from California, who were in Halifax for the weekend training some 80+ new Zumba instructors in all-day workshops. They ARE Zumba - you should see these two move! - and what they took the crowd through Friday night was a little more gruelling than the regular weekly classes at the Y, Dalplex or GoodLife Fitness.

But from what others tell me, those classes are a little more accessible and just as much fun!



If you like to dance or love a good beat, this is absolutely the workout for you! If you're like me and miss the days of bustin' a move on the dance floor every weekend but have outgrown that scene a little (or a lot), you must add Zumba to your life. I'm currently debating whether to buy the DVD collection or become a Y member just so I can Zumba multiple times a week!

I encourage you all to check out the Zumba website, look Zumba up on You Tube, or read this article from a few weeks ago, which proves the Zumba craze is alive and well right here in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Now what are you waiting for? Ditch the workout, join the party!

--------------------------------
Laura Melanson, member of the Bust a Move team

No comments:

Post a Comment

About The Event

My photo
Bust a Move for Breast Health is a home grown fundraising event in support of the QEII and IWK Foundations in Nova Scotia, Canada. Six hours of exercise and fundraising for world-class breast health services will combine to create a unique experience anyone can be part of. Join us on March 26th, 2011!